breaking news

Image from page 98 of “Robert Louis Stevenson” (1915)

March 26th, 2017 | by BTC News
Image from page 98 of “Robert Louis Stevenson” (1915)
Tech
0

Some cool mining pool images:

Image from page 98 of “Robert Louis Stevenson” (1915)
mining pool
Image by Internet Archive Book Images
Identifier: robertlouissteven00crus
Title: Robert Louis Stevenson
Year: 1915 (1910s)
Authors: Cruse, Amy, 1870-1951
Subjects: Stevenson, Robert Louis, 1850-1894
Publisher: London : George G. Harrap
Contributing Library: University of Connecticut Libraries
Digitizing Sponsor: LYRASIS Members and Sloan Foundation

View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book

Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.

Text Appearing Before Image:
the seekers pursued their way about afurlong along a road running through a forest andround the side of the hill, to a place where itsuddenly widened and ended abruptly in a greatcanyon. The canyon was walled across by ac dump of rolling stones, from twenty to thirtyfeet high. Up this they mounted by ladders, thenwalked over a mass of loose stones, until theystruck a triangular platform filling up the wholeglen. Walls of bare red rock rose shutting it in onthree sides. A line of rails, with trucks and otherminers stock, in front, and two shafts that hadbeen sunk farther back showed that this had beenthe scene of the Silverado mining operations. Butthe object upon which the eyes of Stevenson andhis wife fastened with the greatest eagerness was asmall, brown, wooden house built upon one sideof the platform, close up to the red wall of rock.It contained three rooms, each of which was enteredfrom a different side and a different level. Thewindow-frames had all been taken away, and sand 84

Text Appearing After Image:
R. L. S. AT SILVERADO From The Silverado SquattersBy permission of 3Iess?*s Chatto & Windus Robert Louis Stevenson had drifted in, blocking up the entrance ; and inthis soil chance seeds had produced a flourishingcrop of vegetation. The upper room, which, whilethe mine was working, had provided sleepingaccommodation for thirty miners, was fitted with atriple tier of beds, arranged like the berths in a ship.The Stevensons lost no time in making up theirminds. This, they decided, should be their homefor the summer. With some help from Rufe Hansonand his family the house was cleared and madehabitable ; some furniture and a stove were broughtup from Calistoga, and the Silverado Squatters began their experiment. Stevenson and his wifeshared the household duties between them. Eachmorning he rose early from his shelf-like bed andfilled the kettle at a pool of clear water that laybehind one of the shafts ; then lit a fire in the stoveand prepared breakfast. After breakfast it wasMrs Steve

Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.

Dame Emily Park, Southville
mining pool
Image by David McKelvey
Southville is an inner city ward of Bristol, England, situated on the south bank of the River Avon and northwest of Bedminster. Most of the area’s houses were built in the late 19th and early 20th centuries either for workers in the Bristol coal mining industry or the tobacco factories of W. D. & H. O. Wills, homes of the eponymous "Wills Girls". The world headquarters of Imperial Tobacco, the world’s fourth largest international tobacco company, is still situated in the ward. Southville was also a centre for the tanning industry.

Dame Emily Park, on the site of the old Dean Lane coal pit head (closed December 1906), is celebrated for its popular skateboard park and the vivid graffiti, the latter regularly updated by a variety of artists on a weekly basis. Greville Smyth Park is the largest local park and is popular for sports, families and dog walkers. Bristol South swimming pool, a grade II listed building in the south of Dame Emily Park is currently undergoing a renovation to modernise its facilities. Southville Community Development Association (SCDA) is a local community-led organisation that supports many local projects and also runs the Southville Centre – a community centre, cafe, nursery, after school club and older peoples Monday club. Source: en.wikipedia.org

DeathValley144
mining pool
Image by tjabeljan

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *