breaking news


March 31st, 2017 | by BTC News

A few nice mining pool images I found:

mining pool
Image by tjabeljan

Image from page 260 of “Appendix to the Journals of the Senate and Assembly of the … session of the Legislature of the State of California” (1853)
mining pool
Image by Internet Archive Book Images
Identifier: appendixtojourna19177cali
Title: Appendix to the Journals of the Senate and Assembly of the … session of the Legislature of the State of California
Year: 1853 (1850s)
Authors: California. Legislature
Subjects: Legislative journals
Publisher: Sacramento : State Printing
Contributing Library: San Francisco Public Library
Digitizing Sponsor: San Francisco Public Library

View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book

Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.

Text Appearing Before Image:
Upper Lake, at an eleva-tion of 1500 feet (bar.). John Martens Estate is the owner. Theflow of the springs has not been measured, but it is stated that thestrongest one can not be bailed out completely by hand with a 2-gallonbucket. No water is bottled for sale. There are 13 springs in use, theprincipal ones being: magnesia (No. 1), 59° F. and (No. 2) 61.5°; 09~> MINES AND MINERAL RESOURCES. arsenic 60° ; sulphur 60°; soda 61.5° ; iron 61.5° ; seltzer 59°. Bibl.: R. VI, Part I, p. 63; VIII, p. 328; XIL p. 337; XIII, p.511; R. of M., Lake County, p. 7; U. S. G. S. Bull. No. 32,p. 207; Water Sup. Pap. 338, p. 179; Anderson (op. cit.), pp. 220and 242. Scigler Hot Springs. This resort is owned by the Seigler SpringsCompany, with A. J. McGill, president; Robert Forbes, secretary, andW. H. Roberts, manager. It is in Sec. 24, T. 12 N., R. 8 W., 5 milessouthwest from Lower Lake, 30 miles north of Calistoga, and atan elevation of 2230 feet (bar.). There is quite a variety of springs

Text Appearing After Image:
Photo No. 17. Hotel at Seigler Hot Springs, Lake County, California. here, both cold and hot. The principal ones are: hot iron 107° F.;hot sulphur 107°; small sulphur 118.5°; big sulphur 126°;lithia.67°; soda 64° magnesia 72°; arsenic 94°; one notnamed 97°; geyser was choked up. At the Big Sulphur springthere is considerable excess gas escaping, and there is a large sinterdeposit beside it. This spring is the principal one supplying theswimming pool (30 feet wide, 200 feet long, and 3 to 10 feet deep) madeby damming the small ravine at the upper end of which several springsissue. Besides this, several of the other springs have stone bathhousesbuilt over them, large enough for swimming exercise. The hotel issupplied with farm and dairy products from the ranch maintained as apart of the resort, comprising a total of 700 acres. There are accom-modations for 250 people. No Avater has been bottled for sale, but itis stated that they contemplate doing so. There is a body of light L

Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.

Las calles de Santa Fe de Antioquia
mining pool
Image by A.Davey
We took a delightful day trip from Medellín to the old colonial capital of Santa Fe de Antioquia.

With the country divided by three Andean cordilleras that run roughly north to south, Colombia offers a wide range of climate zones in a relatively short distance.

As a kid, I went from the cool climate of Bogotá to camp in the "hot country," which is a good translation of the term highland Colombians use for the tropical lowlands.

Medellín, at about 4,000 feet above sea level, is temperate compared to Santa Fe de Antioquia. There, it is hot, hot, hot! People come from Medellín to stay for the day or the week at resorts where they can enjoy the heat from the comfort of a lovely, cool swimming pool.

The landscape there is dry forest.

Here’s what Wikipedia has to say about Santa Fe de Antioquia:

Santa Fe de Antioquia is a municipality in the Antioquia Department, Colombia. The city is located approximately 50 miles (80 km) north of Medellín, the department capital. It has a population of approximately 23,000 inhabitants.

Founded in 1541 by Jorge Robledo as Villa de Santafé on the western bank of the Cauca River, in 1545 it received the coat of arms and the title of City of Antioquia from King Philip II of Spain.

It was elevated to the status of parish in 1547 by the bishop of Popayán. It changed its name in 1584 when it became the capital of Antioquia. It was a mining town from its beginnings and the gold mining operation has been the base of its economy.

Its cathedral was constructed in 1799 and elevated to Diocese of Antioquia in 1804 by Pope Pius VII. In 1813 Antioquia was declared a sovereign and independent state with Santa Fe as its capital, a status it maintained until 1826, when Medellín was chosen as the new departmental seat.

Due to the state of conservation of its colonial architecture, it was declared a national monument in 1960.

The municipal area is 493 square kilometres (190 sq mi), with a mountainous territory within the Central Cordillera of the Andes and watered by the rivers Cauca and Tonusco.

The economy of Santa Fe de Antioquia is based on agriculture: the main products are coffee, maize and beans.

Tourism has been, and continues to be one of the more important economic enterprises for the municipality. The opening of the Tunnel of the West (which reduces the time and the distance between the locality and Medellín) in 2006 has allowed hundreds of tourists to arrive each weekend, stimulating the vocation of the vicinity as a summer vacation site.

All of the town is a historical site; the architecture that has survived through the years gives Santa Fe de Antioquia the aspect of a city "suspended" in the colonial era, which is the reason the city was declared National monument.

Bridge of the West (National Monument); suspension bridge built in 1887, same year as the Eiffel Tower, over the Cauca River.

Metropolitan Cathedral
Archiepiscopal Palace
Plaza Mayor Juan de Corral
Museum of Religious Art
The House of the Two Palms
La Playita (Famous Ranch To The South of the Plaza)
Tonusco Campestre

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *