breaking news

Morley Road, Southville, Bristol

October 1st, 2016 | by BTC News
Morley Road, Southville, Bristol
Tech
0

A few nice mining pool images I found:

Morley Road, Southville, Bristol
mining pool
Image by David McKelvey
Southville is an inner city ward of Bristol, England, situated on the south bank of the River Avon and northwest of Bedminster. Most of the area’s houses were built in the late 19th and early 20th centuries either for workers in the Bristol coal mining industry or the tobacco factories of W. D. & H. O. Wills, homes of the eponymous "Wills Girls". The world headquarters of Imperial Tobacco, the world’s fourth largest international tobacco company, is still situated in the ward. Southville was also a centre for the tanning industry.

The area was bombed in the second world war, with a large number of streets losing one or more houses. Southville was the unintended target of the many short-falling bombs aimed at the adjoining dock facilities and traffic. The subsequent post-war rebuilding is noticeable on many streets, where the generic style of house building changes to modern construction. Infilling of wartime damage is, perhaps surprisingly, still continuing. The house price boom of the early 21st Century has seen new builds on existing vacant sites and on bombed sites which had been previously used for other activities such as pre-fabricated garages and car sales lots.

The area has been gentrified since the early 1980s, accompanying the national rise in house prices. It has been jokingly referred to as Lower Clifton, a reference to a more prosperous area of the city. New bars and restaurants and the nationally renowned Tobacco Factory theatre attract visitors to the area, while the Southville Community Centre and Southville School have become the central features of a vibrant community atmosphere. There are many artists living in the area; during the annual Arts Trail they open their houses to the public and show and sell their work.

Dame Emily Park, on the site of the old Dean Lane coal pit head (closed December 1906), is celebrated for its popular skateboard park and the vivid graffiti, the latter regularly updated by a variety of artists on a weekly basis. Greville Smyth Park is the largest local park and is popular for sports, families and dog walkers. Bristol South swimming pool, a grade II listed building in the south of Dame Emily Park is currently undergoing a renovation to modernise its facilities. Southville Community Development Association (SCDA) is a local community-led organisation that supports many local projects and also runs the Southville Centre – a community centre, cafe, nursery, after school club and older peoples Monday club. Source: en.wikipedia.org

Image from page 230 of “The great Northwest : a guide-book and itinerary for the use of tourists and travellers over the lines of the Northern Pacific Railroad, the Oregon Railway and Navigation Company and the Oregon and California Railroad : containing
mining pool
Image by Internet Archive Book Images
Identifier: greatnorthwestgu00wins
Title: The great Northwest : a guide-book and itinerary for the use of tourists and travellers over the lines of the Northern Pacific Railroad, the Oregon Railway and Navigation Company and the Oregon and California Railroad : containing descriptions of states, territories, cities, towns, and places along the routes of these allied systems of transportation, and embracing facts relating to the history, resources, population, products, and natural features of the great Northwest
Year: 1883 (1880s)
Authors: Winser, Henry Jacob, 1823-1896
Subjects: Northern Pacific Railroad Company Oregon Railway and Navigation Company Oregon and California Railroad
Publisher: New York : G.P. Putnam’s Sons
Contributing Library: Harold B. Lee Library
Digitizing Sponsor: Brigham Young University

View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book

Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.

Text Appearing Before Image:
romantic dells and gorges,where the cottonwood and the alder hang over deep, shady pools, in whichhundreds of trout await their destiny in the shape of the man with a bamboorod and book of flies. This canon, with hotel accommodation at each endof it, is accessible by carriages, as well as by a stage line of palacejerkies, which passes through it three times a week for Fort Benton.The Gates of the Rocky Mountains are reached either by carriages tothe upper end of the canon or by boat through the canon itself. Among the other attractions of Helena are the Hot Springs, situatedin a romantic glen, four miles west of the city, which are much resorted toby persons afflicted with rheumatism. The temperature of the water as itbubbles up from the earth varies from 110° to 140° Fahrenheit. About four miles southwest, at the head of Grizzly Gulch, is a groupof rich quartz mines, and also some placer diggings, both of which havebeen extensively worked. There are here many quartz mills, and the

Text Appearing After Image:
The Gates of the Rocky Mountains, Missouri River, near Helena,Mont. Rocky Mountain Division. 187 drive from the city is through pleasant mountain scenery. Twenty milesto the northwest, over a fine road, are several mining districts, in whichare some of the richest gold and silver mines in the Territory. These areworked by a number of large quartz mills, around which have grown uppicturesque mountain villages that will amply repay the trouble of a visit.Twenty-eight miles to the southeast are the mining towns of Jefferson City,Wickes and Clancy, in the vicinity of which are a great number of rich andextensive silver mines, which are worked by the smelting process, and giveemployment to many men and teams. Fifteen miles west, at the head ofTen-Mile Creek, is a rich belt of silver mines. Thus Helena is surroundedon all sides by rich mining districts, which are in a great measure tributaryto her. Making Pemmican and Buffalo Kobes.—The great fall hunt of theIndians is the most important

Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.

La Plaza
mining pool
Image by A.Davey
We took a delightful day trip from Medellín to the old colonial capital of Santa Fe de Antioquia.

With the country divided by three Andean cordilleras that run roughly north to south, Colombia offers a wide range of climate zones in a relatively short distance.

As a kid, I went from the cool climate of Bogotá to camp in the "hot country," which is a good translation of the term highland Colombians use for the tropical lowlands.

Medellín, at about 4,000 feet above sea level, is temperate compared to Santa Fe de Antioquia. There, it is hot, hot, hot! People come from Medellín to stay for the day or the week at resorts where they can enjoy the heat from the comfort of a lovely, cool swimming pool.

The landscape there is dry forest.

Here’s what Wikipedia has to say about Santa Fe de Antioquia:

Santa Fe de Antioquia is a municipality in the Antioquia Department, Colombia. The city is located approximately 50 miles (80 km) north of Medellín, the department capital. It has a population of approximately 23,000 inhabitants.

Founded in 1541 by Jorge Robledo as Villa de Santafé on the western bank of the Cauca River, in 1545 it received the coat of arms and the title of City of Antioquia from King Philip II of Spain.

It was elevated to the status of parish in 1547 by the bishop of Popayán. It changed its name in 1584 when it became the capital of Antioquia. It was a mining town from its beginnings and the gold mining operation has been the base of its economy.

Its cathedral was constructed in 1799 and elevated to Diocese of Antioquia in 1804 by Pope Pius VII. In 1813 Antioquia was declared a sovereign and independent state with Santa Fe as its capital, a status it maintained until 1826, when Medellín was chosen as the new departmental seat.

Due to the state of conservation of its colonial architecture, it was declared a national monument in 1960.

The municipal area is 493 square kilometres (190 sq mi), with a mountainous territory within the Central Cordillera of the Andes and watered by the rivers Cauca and Tonusco.

The economy of Santa Fe de Antioquia is based on agriculture: the main products are coffee, maize and beans.

Tourism has been, and continues to be one of the more important economic enterprises for the municipality. The opening of the Tunnel of the West (which reduces the time and the distance between the locality and Medellín) in 2006 has allowed hundreds of tourists to arrive each weekend, stimulating the vocation of the vicinity as a summer vacation site.

All of the town is a historical site; the architecture that has survived through the years gives Santa Fe de Antioquia the aspect of a city "suspended" in the colonial era, which is the reason the city was declared National monument.

Bridge of the West (National Monument); suspension bridge built in 1887, same year as the Eiffel Tower, over the Cauca River.

Other attractions:

Metropolitan Cathedral
Archiepiscopal Palace
Plaza Mayor Juan de Corral
Museum of Religious Art
The House of the Two Palms
La Playita (Famous Ranch To The South of the Plaza)
Tonusco Campestre

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *