breaking news

Old flour mill or grist mill in Callington South Australia. Callington was a copper mining town from 1849 to 1875. Flour opened in 1858 and closed in 1859. Has been a private residence since 1859.

September 25th, 2016 | by BTC News
Old flour mill or grist mill in Callington South Australia. Callington was a copper mining town from 1849 to 1875. Flour opened in 1858 and closed in 1859. Has been a private residence since 1859.
Tech
0

A few nice mining pool images I found:

Old flour mill or grist mill in Callington South Australia. Callington was a copper mining town from 1849 to 1875. Flour opened in 1858 and closed in 1859. Has been a private residence since 1859.
mining pool
Image by denisbin
The Callington Copper mine.
Settlement spread across the well-watered Adelaide Hills following a number of Special Surveys in 1839. The financial situation of the state was saved by the discovery of a significant copper mine at Kapunda in 1842, followed by the great mine at Burra in 1845, and then Callington mine in 1849. The last big copper mine in the 19th century was at Moonta/Kadina in 1869. Now we have Roxby Downs mine as a major copper mine, along with uranium, silver and gold!

Callington was laid out as a township in 1849 by local landowners. At about the same time the government announced a survey to build a new road to Wellington on the Murray and that it would cross the Bremer River where Callington now stands. The Bremer was named after Sir James Bremer founder of the Port Essington settlement in the Northern Territory. Around the time when the first Callington land was offered for sale John Kiernan, whilst driving a dray over a rocky outcrop near the proposed town, noticed copper ore where the wheel of the dray crushed the stone. Copper mining began shortly after that discovery! A smelter was established here in 1848 before the town began.

Soon there were five mining companies apart from the Bremer Mining Company operating here. Shafts were sink up to 190 metres (620feet) deep chasing the lodes of copper. Cornish miners settled in the town which officially began in 1850. Before then the area was simply known as Bremer. The original Bremer lode was easy to mine and profitable as the ore was near the surface. The required deep shafts ran into water problems. This prompted the Bremer Mining Company to sell out to the Worthing Mining Company in 1857. They installed a large steam pump house to remove water from the shafts. It arrived in 1859 from its former mine site at Hallett Cove. The engine took two years to fully install and then it used to pump 500,000 gallons of water a day from the mine.

Alfred Hallett carefully managed the mine. He was well respected and under his control the mine at Callington had a reputation for having the lowest costs of production of any mine in SA. Yet the Worthing Mining Company never paid any dividends to its shareholders despite 15 years of continuous operations. In 1870 the company went into liquidation. Before this time around 150 men and boys were employed in the mine and up to 300 tons of copper ore per month was extracted, smelted and then transported to Port Adelaide. The slump in world copper prices in 1870 finished off the mine (and at that same time the great Burra mine closed too.) For 16 months there was no activity in Callington until the Bremer Mining Company took over again in 1872. In the meantime the shafts had filled with water. It took seven months of continuous pumping to clear the shafts! The mine operated for just two years and closed for ever in 1875. Callington at that time had a population of 235. By 1881 this had dropped to just 148. Tourism and the freeway to Murray Bridge has allowed more recent growth of the town.

Many of the buildings of the 1850s and 1860s still remain. Look for:

1. The Flour Mill on the river. Opened in 1858 and made of limestone with brick quoins and timber window frames and casement windows. The Thomas brothers operated the mill for just a few months. It has been a residence off and on since 1859. It was extensively updated and restored in 1975.
2. Erskine Bridge. This government bridge opened in 1890 with elegant sandstone piers, steel trusses and a concrete deck. Mr Erskine was the local MP at that time. It was re-decked by the Highways department in 1970 and had major repairs done in 1979. The first bridge on this site opened in 1874.The last major flood down the Bremer River was in 1992. The Bremer River rises near Mt Torrens and flows down from Callington to Langhorne Creek and Lake Alexandrina. The horst block in this area of the hills means there is an escarpment near Callington towards Murray Bridge and the river is in a deeply cut river valley with steep sides. The Erskine Bridge is on the register of the National Estate.
3. Former Methodist Church. The former Methodist Church was built in 1862 for the Cornish miners in a commanding position overlooking the river. It has been a private residence for many years.
4. Police Station. At the far end of the town is the police station and lockup. It was built in 1867 of a standard SA design for that era. It has sandstone windowsills and door surrounds. It was built in the classical style with good symmetry, a double front door entrance and a nice fanlight above the doors with VR for Victoria Regina plastered into the walls. The paired timber bracket supports for the roof indicate that the original roof was slate and heavy. In the rear yard are the cells, stables and a toilet with a semicircular headed entrance. It is currently a lavender garden and tearooms.
5. St Peter’s Lutheran Church. Callington always provided services for the local Lutheran German farmers. This Lutheran Church opened in 1864 as a fine blue stone and mortar church in the Gothic style with a cross shape. The central roof bell tower was added later. The interior has a gambrel roof in wood. Note the blind window above the porch entrance. In recent years the whole church has been cement rendered spoiling the appearance.
6. Callington Hotel. The first licensed hotel opened in 1851. This current building probably dates from the 1870s. Inside the publican maintains a good historic photograph collection on the bar walls.
7. Primary School. Like most SA schools it dates from just after the passing of the 1875 Free, Compulsory and Secular Education Act. The building was erected in 1886 but the first town school operated from 1858. The government took over the school in 1873. The building is unusual in that a porch was attached to the schoolroom under a veranda roof. The school faced closure in the 1980s but now has a fast growing enrolment and new classrooms.
8. Explosives Hut. This amazing small round building was erected in the 1850s, probably by Worthing Mining Company. Its walls are of limestone and lime mortar with a roof that tapers to the apex with two different rates of slope. The internal supports for the dome roof are all wooden but the main thrust of the weight of the roof is on the external walls. It is on the register of the National Estate. It is likely the rounded shape was meant to implode if there was a small explosion.
9. Pump House. All that remains is a small section of the huge engine pump house wall. This is also of random limestone. This was for the pump that arrived in 1859 and began working in 1861.
10. Chimney Stack. This was erected in 1858 in the round Cornish style of mine chimney stacks. It was built for the boiler which provided steam to the pump house. It can be seen beyond the Explosives Hut.
11. Quadrant Engine Pool Settling Tanks. These were built in late 1863. The circular tanks were divided into four areas, but little remains now.
12. Cottages in Montefiore Street. Some fine 1850s cottages still remain. Notice the decorative cut outs on the veranda ends of the cottages near the turn off to the Methodist Church. The cottages are in Montefiore Street but who was he? We all know Montefiore Hill with Light’s Vision in North Adelaide. Jacob Montefiore was one of the original SA Company Commissioners in London. He was an English Jew born in Jamaica of Italian ancestry! He was a friend of Colonel William Light and helped him prepare the Rapid and the Cygnet for their voyages to SA in 1836. Montefiore visited Adelaide twice in 1843 and 1854 whilst on his way to visit his brother, a wealthy banker in Sydney.

The old railway station has now been totally demolished. The railway reached Callington on its way to Murray Bridge and Melbourne in the mid 1880s. Callington cemetery is on the eastern outskirts of the town and has some fine old headstones written in German. It is too far to walk to it on this tour.

It’s all in the details – 2014 Pasadena Showcase House of Design
mining pool
Image by Karol Franks

Karol Franks
2014 Pasadena Showcase House of Design

This year, Showcase House celebrates its 50th anniversary with a distinguished 1915 English Arts & Crafts style home, designed by noted architect Stiles O. Clements, who served on the Los Angeles County Regional Planning Commission and originated the Los Angeles trees-in-the-street program. Clements was the architect for the Adamson House in Malibu, Wiltern Theater in mid-Wilshire Los Angeles, El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood, Mayan Theater in downtown Los Angeles, and the Beverly Hills High School swim-gym, featured in the film It’s a Wonderful Life. He also assisted Julia H. Morgan on the design of William Randolph Hearst’s San Simeon.

This year’s Showcase House, known as the Flint House, was originally built for Robert Philip Flint and his wife Margaret Gray Flint. Mr. Flint graduated from Yale University and was a prominent mining engineer, and brother to Frank P. Flint who developed Flintridge which is part of La Canada, CA. Another notable owner was Philip Chandler, the son of Harry Chandler, publisher of the Los Angeles Times. In 1915, the 8,200 square-foot house featured 17 rooms and was built at a cost of ,000. Today, the house features seven bedrooms, including a nursery, a nanny’s room and a traveler’s suite, ten baths, five fireplaces, a media room, oak floors, redwood wall paneling, and floor to ceiling leaded glass windows. The 3.5 acre wooded grounds feature 300 trees, a lily pond, river-rock artesian spring house, a variety of lovely gardens, a pool and dressing rooms with fire pit, a greenhouse, a gardener’s potting shed and an outdoor kitchen. In addition, there is a chauffeur’s suite complete with sitting area and kitchenette located above the carriage house.

Tickets: www.pasadenashowcase.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *